What is Sore Throat ?
A sore throat refers to pain, itchiness, or irritation of the throat. It may cause difficulty swallowing food and liquids, and the pain may get worse when you try to swallow. Throat pain is the primary symptom of a sore throat. However, other symptoms may include:
- a dry throat
- swollen glands in the neck
- white patches on the tonsils
A sore throat can affect people of all ages, but the risk of a sore throat is higher in some people. This includes:
- people who smoke
- people with allergies
- people with a compromised immune system
Causes of a sore throat
Viral infection : Most sore throats are triggered by a viral infection. These are infections caused by a virus, such as the common cold or the flu.
Bacterial infection : A bacterial infection can also cause a sore throat. These types of infections include:
Environmental factors : Not all sore throats are viral or bacterial. Several other things can cause throat pain.
- Dry air can make your throat feel raw and scratchy.
- Smoking cigarettes or breathing in cigarette smoke can trigger persistent sore throats.
- Yelling or too much talking can trigger throat strain.
How is a sore throat treated?
The treatment for a sore throat depends on the cause. However, you can treat many sore throats at home. Home treatment options include:
- gargling with warm salt water
- drinking plenty of warm fluids, such as tea, soup, and water
- avoiding allergens and irritants, such as smoke and chemicals
- taking throat lozenges
How to prevent a sore throat
Many underlying causes of sore throats are infectious, and there are certain steps that can help you prevent future infection. Additional steps you can take to prevent a sore throat include the following:
- not sharing drinking glasses or utensils
- using hand sanitizers whenever soap and water aren’t available
- limiting contact with commonly touched surfaces
- reducing exposure to allergens, such as pollen, dust, and mold
- avoiding cigarette smoke
- keeping a humidifier in your house to eliminate dryness
Source ៖ www.healthline.com
|Share This||5590 Views|
Benefit of Curry Leaf For Diabetes
Curry leaf is also a wonderful agent that can help people living with diabetes stop their nightmare of dealing with the hateful and stubborn symptoms of this dangerous condition. Aromatic curry leaf might also act as an effective agent which works well in controlling the high blood sugar issue. Many minerals contained in curry leaf can aid in maintaining normal blood sugar levels. Moreover, it can influence the carbohydrate ...
Children under 6 should take cold medicine or shouldn't?
It's miserable to watch your child suffer through the six to 10 colds she's likely to catch this year. And to make matters worse, experts now say that kids under 6 shouldn't use over-the-counter cold and cough medicine because of potentially dangerous side effects. So what's a concerned parent to do? We asked experts to tell us how to help fend off germs in the first plac ...
Yogurt is a best food for baby
Creamy yogurt is rich in calcium and vitamin D, necessary for healthy bones and teeth. Your baby can have it at 6 months, long before he'll be ready for cow's milk.
Opt for plain yogurt with no added sugar. Also look for a brand with the most live cultures, which help regulate the good bacteria in your baby's digestive tract. Make sure you pick up whole-milk yogurt &n ...